Vice President, Capital Projects Commercial Management (CAP001R)
20 Bay Street
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
The Capital Projects Group (CPG) is looking for a Vice President to provide strategic leadership and oversight of commercial decision-making. They will coordinate commercial leadership across CPG in alignment with the corporation; and, in situations where executive involvement is warranted, provides commercial advice to the President and CEO, CCO, and other leaders in CPG, the rest of Metrolinx, government and partner agencies.
What will I be doing?
- Champions and leads the commercial management function within CPG throughout the lifecycle of all Capital projects/programs, and ensures there are effective and efficient policies, procedures and best practices in place to establish and maintain commercial value to the Agency
- Develops, staffs and manages a team of commercial management professionals to deliver corporate management expertise within CPG and enhance enterprise-wide collaboration to ensure there is appropriate commercial management capability and capacity to lead and provide the necessary advice on and oversight of CPG Capital projects/programs;
- Manages and supports the development and negotiation of contract documents on behalf of CPG and supports the Chief Legal Officer and legal department to develop contract term
- Establishes benchmarks and develops appropriate metrics, monitoring systems and reporting functionality to appropriately monitor the alignment of CPG commercial initiatives with corporate direction, strategy and value for money principles
- Provides leadership and oversight of material commercial decisions within CPG, at all stages in the project lifecycle (including planning, procurement, implementation, and operations) to ensure sound and consistent commercial decision making
- Establishes processes, controls and measures to support the commercial management strategy, monitor capital contract compliance and the financial viability of all CPG projects
- Liaises with government, including MTO, the Minister’s Office, the Premier’s Office and other ministries and departments as necessary, to provide briefings on commercial and contract management issues and the status of transactions and negotiations
- Effectively deals with significant commercial issues, including complex engineering, procurement, financial and technical challenges to ensure the completion of key projects and strategies; facilitates collaboration and cooperation between stakeholders and external vendors to ensure project delivery and issues resolution
What skills & qualifications do I need?
- Completion of a degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Law or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent; Graduate level degree is an asset
- Minimum fifteen (15) years’ experience in progressively senior project leadership roles; experience leading large complex projects from conception to build with experience and measured success in the application of commercial management methodology in the context of multi-million dollar projects; experience in the transportation industry and public sector an asset.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or international equivalent accreditation an asset; Professional Engineer Ontario (PEO), Chartered Management Accountant (CMA) of similar professional accreditation an asset
- An in-depth understanding of contract law and corporate governance requirements is required
- In-depth understanding of legal, regulatory and policy requirements governing contracts to enable leadership oversight of CPG commercial activities and identify and manage commercial risks;
- Expert knowledge of the stage gate design and delivery process for major projects, in order to effectively lead and manage projects through the project lifecycle;
- Expert knowledge of construction contract administration and claims management techniques and practices in a large multi project complex construction and linear infrastructure environment.
- Strategic thinking, and strong decision making and analytical abilities, as required to identify/resolve complex/high profile commercial and capital contract management issues;
- Knowledge of project management methods, principles and best practices to lead diverse projects teams is required to: successfully manage projects in a highly regulated project delivery/construction and operating environment; provide senior leadership to staff on complex projects using industry standard project management methodologies and key performance indicators; and build and lead integrated project teams within budget and schedule restraints;
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER