Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking a Senior User Experience (UX) Design Lead with a proven record of delivering irresistible solutions that address our customers’ most challenging business problems and opportunities. The best candidate will have several years of experience collaborating effectively with Product Management and engineering in an agile and lean delivery context. The candidate must demonstrate leadership, technical curiosity, and tenacity to partner with some of the leading technologists in the field of cloud and cognitive computing. Ability to directly lead and mentor a team of User Experience designers is a must. Experience as a Design Manager is a definite asset.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with designers, developers and product managers to create brilliant interface and user experience solutions from concept to final code
- Deliver, review and critique the UX Designs of a multi-skilled design team to ensure effective and rich designs (great interaction, supreme visual styling, consistent and appropriate use of voice and tone, etc.)
- Work with UX Designers, researchers and product managers to understand user’s needs and behaviours for the industries in which they work
- Participate in and lead lean UX activities (in person and remote) in an Agile environment such as user/design research, interviews and workshops
- Analyze and synthesize the findings; distilling the inherent complexity in the user’s experiences and identify the right problems to solve
- Produce and enhance low-fidelity sketches and medium fidelity wire frames to facilitate communication of recommended solutions
- Translate findings into usable, useful, effective and efficient user experiences
- Clearly and quickly deliver ideas to cross-functional teams
- Provide information verbally and visually through low and mid-fidelity renderings (starting with paper and pencil/whiteboard) and clickable prototypes
- Test and validate working hypothesis with users through usability testing of wire frames, clickable prototypes and published product, and participate in design critique
- Work with Visual Designers and Developers to bring concepts to life while maintaining UX best practices Understand how to balance an insanely high personal bar of performance, yet still remember to have fun
Who You Are
We design Business Intelligence products for enterprise. You are a top notch designer and highly motivated team player who isn’t scared off by data visualizations, and advanced analytics concepts. You are also creative, curious, questioning, open to take and provide critique and have a ton of initiative able to focus on design detail and ascertain user value and impact as part of their software experience. You possess experience solving complex design problems for Web interactions or software solutions, and are capable of translating research findings into complex interaction designs that provide usable, effective and efficient experiences to users. Your keen written and verbal communication skills include the ability to articulate alternative approaches.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 5 years of experience as a user experience designer
- Ability to produce and enhance low-fidelity sketches and medium fidelity wire frames to facilitate communication of recommended solutions
- Ability to tell a meaningful story about the user through great presentation skills
- Portfolio with work samples that illustrate your approach to UX problem solving
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 8 years of experience as a user experience designer
- Some experience with or understanding of data visualization
- Some experience with or understanding of advanced analytics
- Knowledge of, and experience in, the enterprise domain
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds – public, private, and hybrid – enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.