Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
Our Capital Projects Group, GO Expansion Business Unit is seeking a Senior Manager for its Union Station Rail Corridor (USRC). This position leads and provides overall management and oversight to the specified corridor capital infrastructure projects from concept to completion, ensuring delivery on time and within the approved budget.
- Develops project strategies while providing overall administrative and technical leadership and oversight to multiple corridor project activities to ensure coordination of efforts, interface management, and successful completion.
- Plans, sets objectives and controls activities during the design and construction phases of corridor projects in conjunction with Managers and project teams.
- Manages and contributes to the pre-construction process by reviewing and approving all plans, schedules and tendering documents to ensure optimal coordination of projects throughout the USRC; reviews consultant proposals and develops recommendations for proposed projects consistent with strategic plan and business objectives.
- Implements standards and manages projects, by monitoring mechanisms for projects (e.g. budget, schedule, scope, quality); regularly reports to Director on project status and key issues.
- Oversees project activities to identify any risks and areas of potential exposure or non-compliance; recommends appropriate actions to mitigate risk.
- Develops and manages operating budgets and monitors adherence to budget categorization and constraints; takes corrective actions to address issues with adherence to budget and schedule commitments; proposes path forward to address budget pressures.
- Develops and manages project schedules, with consideration to internal and external interfaces, and monitors adherence to critical path/milestones; proposes and implements corrective measures to address schedule commitments.
- Oversees and monitors progress of capital projects to ensure that planning objectives are delivered on time and within budget, and that anticipated business results are achieved; able to explain off-plan overages and exceptions
- Provides strategic leadership and directly manages professional staff and project teams.
Location: 20 Bay Street, Toronto
File Number: USR006H
- Completion of a degree in Applied Science, Engineering, or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent.
- Valid Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) license recognized by the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) is required. Canadian Rail Operating Rules (CROR) certification is an asset.
- Minimum 10 years’ progressive experience providing comprehensive engineering and project management services associated with the planning, design, and construction of transit facilities, station infrastructure, and related works. Previous experience includes leading a team of technical professionals.
- Knowledge of Contract Law, Construction Liens Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Environmental Assessment Act, and the requirements of the Professional Engineers Act. Knowledge of Human Resources legislation to monitor and manage employees and contractors, including experience in the application of collective agreement provisions.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the theories, principles and practices of civil and architectural design and construction; skill and proficiency in broad phases of engineering application. Knowledge of railway corridor infrastructure and related construction projects.
- Strong project management skills and experience, including budget and schedule controls, leading cross-functional teams and consultants engaged in simultaneous projects and monitoring project activities for adherence to schedule, budget, and scope.
- Experience with vendor management to evaluate project tenders and review consultant proposals.
- Strong problem solving and influencing skills to establish effective working relationships, negotiate, and deal with a variety of contacts, both internal and external to the organization; along with the ability to gain cooperation from individuals not under direct authority
- Interpersonal and oral/written/presentation skills to present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity; to liaise with all levels within the organization and on construction sites; to work effectively with specialists across multiple sectors.