Senior Manager, Capital Cost Management (PRO007Z)
Employee Status: Regular
Office Name: 30 Wellington Street West
Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario and our goal is to create a transportation network that enhances the prosperity, sustainability and quality of life for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. We lead planning in the region with a Regional Transportation Plan that guides the work and investments of the organization. This includes building light transit, bus rapid transit and Regional Express Rail, as well as operating GO Transit, UP Express and PRESTO.
As a key part of the Capital Finance team, the Senior Manager, Capital Cost Management leads, directs establishes and ensures quality, control and compliance for cost management practices on Metrolinx’s multi-billion dollar capital program. This role is critical to ensure the financial integrity and accuracy of financial information, including monitoring and reporting for capital projects during the full life cycle of capital projects and measuring the actual cost performance through to project completion.
- Leads the cost management function and provides direction to cost controllers and project accountants to ensuring full compliance with processes for the cost management component of capital projects, including cost estimating, budgeting, accounting, appropriate cost allocation and short/long range forecasting that evaluates financial performance during the project lifecycle
- Leads the implementation of cost management frameworks for managing cost throughout the project life cycle
- Responsible for ensuring the embedded financial staff in the project delivery units are performing to the standards of the Cost Management Plan and provide training as required.
- Provides subject matter expertise on project costing, how to allocate those costs, and methods to estimate and forecast costs that are based on best practices as well as implements consistency for the multi-billion dollar program to control costs
- Leads the development of a training framework and specific learning strategies to build the skills, knowledge and capabilities of staff, project consultants and third-party partners on cost control policies and project cost management process requirements
- Facilitates financial decision-making for capital projects by promoting the effective use of strong cost accounting, financial data analytics and financial modeling for cost validation
- Establishes and effectively leverages cross-discipline relationships within project leadership teams to facilitate the development and implementation of effective and efficient cost management controls and quality assurance systems, processes and procedures
- Supports project managers and embedded project staff in understanding cost management, what the costs mean and how the financial performance is trending
- Assures that financial data flow in the system is robust and follows the policies and processes for reliable financial data to manage project performance
- Provides senior leadership and direction over an integrated team, oversight and indirect supervision of staff in a matrix environment; delivers timely feedback to ensure a cohesive operational unit and the optimum use of team skills; monitors work assignments for adherence to timelines and compliance with policies and processes; develops and implements action plans to address performance gaps
Location: 30 Wellington Street West, Toronto
- Completion of degree in Business Administration, Engineering or Accounting, or related discipline or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum ten (10) years’ progressively responsible experience leading cost management processes in a construction environment
- A recognized accounting designation (CA/CPA) is considered an asset, AACE or PMP are also considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience in accounting, financial analysis, controllership, risk management and reporting principles and practices in large, complex multi-billion dollar and multi-project construction and infrastructure environments
- Influencing skills to convince senior management, colleagues and clients of the need to adhere to financial and the cost management plan
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to analyze, describe and implement risk management and control strategies with consideration given to the project’s needs, trends and issues
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online via (http://www.metrolinx.com/en/aboutus/careers/careers.aspx), no later than October 03, 2019.
Please note that applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
Please be advised, Metrolinx uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. A Criminal Record Search may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER