- Supervises the provision and administration of Construction Management services for construction activities on Metrolinx property, with a customer service focus throughout the course of each process to improve the customer experience, in compliance with the relevant legislation and corporate policies.
- Reviews, analyzes and outlines construction activities and work areas to determine work priorities and provide superior customer service.
- Supervises provision of measures and procedures required by the Health & safety Act and regulations for construction projects; maintains the safe Work Practices and Environmental Protection Plan at all times.
- Communicates with supervisory railway personnel to stay apprised of daily work schedules and coordinate priority scheduling of construction and maintenance activities that maintain train operating schedules.
- Supervises and administers contractor construction and maintenance activities on Metrolinx property to maintain or enhance customer service interests; disseminates information to contractors and internal/external stakeholders regarding construction and maintenance activities, hazards, designated substances and other health and safety information.
- Establishes and chairs the Constructor and Safety Committee meetings for construction and maintenance contractors working on Metrolinx construction projects.
- Develops and conducts safety programs for contractors and employees engaged in construction and maintenance activities on Metrolinx property including training of personnel.
- Researches relevant codes, plans, legislation, and regulations to address procedures that form the basis of Metrolinx’s construction program.
- Develops strategies to support infrastructure improvements in keeping with long-term program initiatives; recommends the implementation of long-term construction programs, environmental strategies, safety guidelines, and project controls that address corporate objectives.
- Works with counterparts and senior management of railways, other transit agencies, provincial ministries, municipalities, private companies (e.g. consultants and contractors), and the public to facilitate the advancement and implementation of capital projects; works with federal agencies concerning pipelines and heritage designation impacts.
- Completion of a degree in Engineering, Architecture, or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent.
- Minimum eight (8) years’ progressive experience in planning, design, construction, construction supervision, construction safety, and contract administration of transit facilities and heavy rail infrastructure.
- A valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license is required
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) designation is an asset
- Additional post-secondary courses leading to a certificate in Project Management would be assets
- Knowledge of the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act and Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Knowledge of transit operations, property management, and facility operations.
- Ability to read construction drawings, contract documents, and construction standards and procedures. Ability to assess, prioritize and respond to manage emergency situations.
- Customer service skills to administer quality Construction Management services for Metrolinx properties
- Supervisory principles and practices to influence and motivate others. Project management, time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills to coordinate complex projects under pressure to meet schedule and budget commitments
- Analytical and problem solving skills to analyze problems, detect root causes, and resolve issues. Interpersonal, oral/written/presentation communication, and negotiation skills to structure information clearly, concisely, and logically.
Unusual Working Conditions
- Required to work evenings and/or weekends and is subject to call-in during emergencies and to conduct accident investigations
- Works outdoors at locations throughout the GO Transit service area, in all types of weather conditions and at all times of the day or night
- Frequent exposure to hazards (e.g. train movements, designated substances, fumes, and flammable / combustible agents); required to wear / use personal protective equipment (e.g. hard hats, hearing protection, protective eyewear, fall protection, respirators, and protective footwear)
Please note that applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
Please be advised, Metrolinx uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Search may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER