The infrastructure running industries likes transportation, energy, insurance, banking or healthcare is quickly changing as the world’s relationship with technology evolves. Companies have more choices than ever before between on-premise, off-premise, or a hybrid approach. Our Infrastructure Specialists are responsible for keeping up with these latest and greatest of these changes and using their expertise to deliver solutions that meet the needs of our customers and products.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Provide DR test/declare support for RS Canada Mainframe customers (approx 40 SO and none-SO clients). Setup and support RS Canada Mainframe hardware and zOS/zVM environment for customer tests based on customer contract and pre-test worksheets.
Meet with customers prior to test to confirm scope, setup MF environment prior to the test, be on-call to support any issues then tear-down the environment after the test. Outside of tests, maintain patch levels and security compliance on all RS Mainframe infrastructure and work on various migration/upgrade projects and any new customers transitions.
Work closely within a team of 4 RS Canada Mainframe specialist as well as with the RS Canada Service Coordinators and with SO and none-SO clients.
- Requires on-site support at 3500 Steeles in Markham and occasional support at CLDC in Barrie for HW installs, cabling work and face to face customer support.
- Mainly work regular business hours with on-call support required during DR tests.
- Work with 3 other RS MF support reps as well as the other RS Canada platform staff and Service Coordinators. Also work direct with customers: SO and none SO customers. Work at times with RS Sales, RS Pre-Sales as well as RS MF support in the US.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- zVM skills, especially creating and monitoring virtual guest LPARs (z/OS, VSE and zVM)
- Working experience with installation, configuration, maintenance of IBM Mainframes, IBM Enterprise Storage Devices, TS7700 VTS, IBM Tape Drives and Libraries, FICON Directors, SAN Routers and zHMCs
- Experience with installing and administering zOS & zVM.
• Good communication skills.
• Work both in individual and team environments.
• Work in time sensitive high pressure situations.
• Perform pager support after business hours and when required work in off-shift hours at business premises.
• Working knowledge of zOS, HCD, SMS, RACF and MVS commands.
• Working knowledge with latest zSeries CPUs such as z196, z12, z13, z14 and z15.
• Working knowledge of zVM, DIRMAINT, REXX, RACF, HCD, IOCP and zVM Commands.
• Mainframe specialty engines such IFLs, zIIPs, zAAPs and ICFs.
• Creating and managing mainframe LPARs using zHMC.
• Working with zVM Performance Tool (PTK) and zOS Performance Tools such as RMF and Omegamon.
• Working Enterprise Storage boxes such as DS8000, EMC VMAX and Hitachi (Logical configuration and Storage Management activities for zVM and zOS).
• IBM Virtual Tape Storage such as TS7720, TS7740, TS7760T, TS7770 and IBM Tape Libraries TS3500 and TS4500.
• ESCON and FICON Directors (Both Brocade and CISCO 16/32Gbps directors).
• Managing Brocade SAN Switches and Routers (Configuration, Code Upgrades, Zoning, Logical FCIP Tunnels)
• Mainframe Standalone tape drives such as 3490s, 3590s, 3592s, STK 9840s and IBM Tape Controllers such as J70, C06 and C07, VEC, VED.
• FICON Express, OSA Express, ISC (Coupling Facilities), Crypto Express Cards and STP.
• Understanding of IBM Security Standard ITSS, GDPR and working skills of security tools such as RCP, UAT.
Vulnerability Scanning and Health Checking
• Support Solution Architects and Sales in the design of Mainframe services solutions through client requirements and specifications, solution design and product selection.
• Report writing – capture work effort activities, findings and recommendations.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Canadian Federal Government Security Clearance Level 2 – Secret.
About Business Unit
At Global Technology Services (GTS), we help our clients envision the future by offering end-to-end IT and technology support services, supported by an unmatched global delivery network. It’s a unique blend of bold new ideas and client-first thinking. If you can restlessly reinvent yourself and solve problems in new ways, work on both technology and business projects, and ask, “What else is possible?” GTS is the place for you!
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.