Licensed Science Officer (Forester) 2
**POSTING AMENDED – JOB TITLE UPDATED**
This posting may be used to establish an eligibility list for future permanent and/or temporary vacancies.
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.
Influence and engage in complex natural resource initiatives
The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development works collaboratively with ministries involved in the management of natural resources to coordinate people and resources to provide exceptional service to the public. The ministry assists clients through its FrontCounter BC service counters, which simplifies the process for citizens and natural resource businesses who are seeking information or authorizations to utilize crown natural resources.
Reporting to a program supervisor or excluded manager and working in a variety of settings, the Auhtorizations Officer provides professional advisory services to a program area in the natural resource sector.
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more . Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken as taken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top of four (4) weeks annual leave.
The Merritt office is a fast paced and a collaborative team environment. Interested applicants must bring a strong concern for order, excellent communication skills and the ability to identify and understand complex issues while providing excellent service to the public and colleagues alike.
Merritt’s rolling hills, sparkling lakes and over 2,000 hours of sunshine every year is a haven for four-season outdoor recreation. Nearby Nicola Lake also offering a myriad of options for water activities. There is three season usage of endless trail systems for renowned mountain biking and hiking. Winter brings opportunities for activities such as Backcountry and Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, ice fishing and even curling.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-9laHaKyc&feature=youtu.be .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Peter.Stroes@gov.bc.ca . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
Education & Experience:
- Degree in the natural resource field or equivalent as recognized by the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals, and a minimum of two (2) years’ experience (gained over the last 10 years) or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a resource management related field. (candidates with less than 2 years experience may be considered).
- Registered member in good standing as a Professional Forester with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals (ABCFP) or *immediately eligible for registration with the ABCFP. NOTE: *Immediately eligible means you have a professional designation (in good standing) in an applicable Canadian jurisdiction and you are able to transfer to the ABCFP. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure eligibility.
- Applicants who do not meet the professional requirement may be considered at a lower level, subject to confirmation of eligibility for registration as Forester in Training (FIT) or Allied Forester in Training (ASFIT) immediately upon employment with the Ministry. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure eligibility.
Preference may be given to applicants with one (1) or more of the following:
- Experience in consulting, negotiating and resolving conflicts with stakeholders in natural resource management.
- Demonstrated experience with administrative and/or operational activities in tenures and land management.
- Experience and/or training in contract monitoring and administration.
- Valid BC driver’s licence.
- Must be physically able to work in difficult terrain.
- May be required to operate field equipment (i.e., quad, snowmobile).
- May be required to travel and stay overnight in remote work locations.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES – A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.