Director, Integration (Project Subways) (ENG001L)
$140,592 – $197,831
20 Bay Street, Toronto
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Our Engineering & Asset Management office is seeking a Director, Integration (Project Subways) to provide strategic leadership and direction to plan, coordinate, and rationalize standards development work carried out across Metrolinx in support of the Subway Program. This position develops recommendations for executive approval by condensing complex technical analysis prepared by multiple teams into concise decision points. Also provide project Technical Advisor consultants with technical interpretations, and engages technical teams across the organization to develop solutions to issues identified by Technical Advisors.
What will I be doing?
- Provides strategic leadership and direction to ensure the workplans and objectives are delivered on schedule, to enable large, critical infrastructure projects to be delivered to publicly committed schedule and budget. strategic plan, policies and procedures along with federal and provincial regulations, standards, and policies
- Leads and Directs the development of subway-related technical standards by different parts of the organization; applies political acuity and relationship management to ensure risks are detected, assessed, managed and/or resolved; monitors development and implementation of mitigation plans to maximize opportunities.
- Develops detailed short- and medium-term strategic goals for the development of subway tunnelling standards; deploys tactical methods to achieve objectives
- Oversees the development and implementation of all Subways integration technical standards and processes, protocols and associated reporting for technical standards; monitors and reports on application of standard processes across the organization.
- Manages the technical interface among Project Delivery Teams, Technical Advisors, Delivery Partners and Sponsors on the design and implementation of Technical Standards on Subways projects to ensure seamless integration with the corridor’s civil infrastructure
- Participates at senior levels of governance and develops recommendations for approval by condensing complex technical analysis prepared by different parts of the organization into concise decision points.
- Collaborates with management and external resources to identify gaps, deficiencies, and inconsistencies in existing and proposed standards, and develops recommended solutions.
- Leads the business case formulation and analysis to derive recommendations, support decision-making, justify resource commitments, and secure funding
- Works collaboratively with members of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and external agencies to balance the achievement of consensus with the delivery of project objectives.
What skills & qualifications do I need?
- Completion of a degree or diploma in Engineering, or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in developing or applying design requirements on large, complex infrastructure projects
- Experience in subway tunnelling standards will be considered an asset
- Health, safety, human resources and environmental legislation and codes effecting the public, employees, contractors and facilities (e.g. Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, Environmental Protection Act, Weeds & Pesticides Act, associated regulations, building codes, fire codes, electrical safety codes) to monitor and manage employees and contractors, including experience in the application of collective agreement provisions
- Knowledge of senior management and corporate administration requirements (e.g. business planning, financial management, risk management, asset management, capital planning, business continuity planning, and human resource management)
- Familiarity with relevant legislation (e.g. Metrolinx Act, Places to Grow Act, Planning Act, Revised Statutes of Ontario (RSO), Municipal Act) is an asset
- Project management principles and practices, including budget and schedule controls, to lead and direct cross functional teams and consultants engaged in simultaneous projects (i.e. development, project progress, related staff, and project resources) and monitor project activities for adherence to timelines, budgets, and project performance objectives
- Service-focused management, leadership, and influencing skills to provide senior technical and administrative direction to an operating or functional unit
- Analytical and negotiation skills and experience with vendor management to manage development and delivery of externally provided products and services
- Politically astute with well-developed networking, stakeholder management, negotiation and influencing skills
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written/presentation skills
- Analytical, problem solving, design synthesis, communication, and negotiation skills
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online through the Current Opportunities page www.metrolinx.com.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER