At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
At IBM, we know technology. But technology is only as good as the results it delivers. Are you interested and adept in application development methodology and tools? The IBM Client Innovation Centre (CIC): Nova Scotia occupies a unique position in the IT marketplace – at the intersection of business and technology.
As a member of our team, you will help IBM clients solve some of their most challenging business problems, capitalize on market opportunities and achieve real value in today’s tough economy.
We’re looking for passionate, original thinkers who want to drive progress, grow their network, and further their careers. If you see yourself as someone who never stops learning, who believes no problem is too big to solve, and who wants to unleash their potential, the entry level Business Consultant/IT Specialist Co-op role is for you.
- Be eligible for a 4-month work term starting in May 2021
- Be enrolled in a co-op or internship program at an accredited college or university
- Be eligible to work in Canada without current or future needs for visa sponsorship
- Be willing and able to live and work in Nova Scotia, with minimal travel anticipated
Co-op opportunities at IBM CIC Halifax
Quality Assurance IBM iGNITE Software Testing:
Peoplesoft/Oracle – Functional and Technical:
- PeopleSoft is an Oracle ERP system with a focus on HR, payroll and accounting modules. Candidates for this area must be eligible for Canadian reliability security clearance requirements. Technical candidates will focus mainly on backend coding. Technical candidates will have at least academic knowledge in back-end coding using SQL or MySQL and have core development knowledge. Ideal functional candidates will have HR, payroll, or business/commerce knowledge.
SAP- Functional and Technical:
- This area focuses on various modules within SAP. Technical candidates will be using either ABAP or BASIS, so knowledge in similar computer languages such as Java, C, C++, Python & databases such as SQL & MySQL will be beneficial. Ideal functional candidates will have at least academic knowledge in supply chain, procurement, finance, or human capital management (HCM). Candidates should also have an interest in cloud technology.
- This area focuses on various aspects of project management within IT consulting, ranging from project administration to support specialists, and from ideation to sustainment. Ideal candidates will have an academic business background, or will have displayed business knowledge in former experiences. They will also have an interest in IT consulting.
Successful Candidates will have:
- Demonstrated leadership and flexibility, with a willingness to readily and voluntarily take ownership of highly meaningful tasks and problems, even beyond your initial scope of responsibility
- A willingness to learn new technologies, skills, and capabilities
- A history of achievement in academics, internships, and/or work experiences
- Proven interpersonal, writing, and verbal communication skill
- A growth mindset and a passion for innovative ideas, coupled with the ability to understand and assimilate different points of view
- Evidence of collaborating effectively with diverse individuals and strengthening relationships to achieve well-designed solutions
- The capability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and meet target timelines while maintaining focus, despite conflicting demands
- An ability to thrive in a team environment, making individual contributions to challenging projects
- A growth mindset for personal career and business development
What will employment with IBM offer you?
- An opportunity to work with industry-leading IBM clients from around the world
- Exceptional training, learning and personal development opportunities
- Insight into an exciting industry with hands-on experience with real project work
- A supportive work environment
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Capabilities / experiences in business consultancy, project management, strategic thinking, data security and privacy, business controls, financial analysis
- Information Technology experience or demonstrated technical aptitude obtained either through relevant coursework or work-related activities
- Relevant business experience or Industry experience in the Telecommunications, Retail, Financial Services Sector – Banking and Insurance, Energy, Public Sector – Healthcare and Federal
- A demonstrated history of achievement in academics, internships, and/or work experience
- Ability to thrive in a team environment, making individual contributions to challenging projects
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and to meet deadlines
- Proven interpersonal, writing, and verbal communication skill
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Knowledge of IBM products
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience with various programming languages
- Understanding of software engineering
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world’s economy. IBM Services partners with the world’s leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.