Management Band 5
Posting Closing Date: Applications will continue to be accepted until a closing date is determined. The closing date will be published with 5 days’ notice.
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of the largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol in Canada, generating a net income of approximately $1.08 billion on annual sales of approximately $3.3 billion in fiscal 2016/17. LDB has a workforce of approximately 4,000 full and part-time employees, operates 197 retail stores across the province, oversees the operations of approximately 220 Rural Agency Stores and has the role of wholesaler to approximately 700 private liquor retail outlets and 10,000 licensed establishments. The LDB is also responsible for distribution of non-medical cannabis including wholesale, e-commerce and brick and mortar stores.
The LDB is a unique government entity that operates with similar independence to a Crown Corporation under the direction of a General Manager and CEO.
In February 2018, the LDB was assigned to distribute, wholesale and sell non-medicinal cannabis inclusive of a government owned online channel with a mandate to support government’s key priorities of protecting children and youth, ensuring health and safety standards, and keeping the criminal element out of the supply chain.
The Executive Director, Corporate Strategic Services (CSS) provides executive leadership to a team responsible for a complete range of services related to supporting the execution and sustainment of the organization’s corporate goals. This includes sourcing and vendor performance; project management, including strategic project investment and standardization of methodologies; policy analysis and implementation; corporate strategy and planning; business analysis; privacy and records management; communications, including liaising with inter government representatives and corporate social responsibility. This role is accountable for leading the Sourcing and Vendor Performance, Corporate Project Management Office (PMO), Corporate Policy, Corporate Communications and Stakeholder Relations, and Strategy and Business Transformation departments.
This position is responsible for the achievement of appropriate corporate Strategic Plan Objectives and Department Business Plan Objectives, through organizing, developing, directing and managing the performance of CSS staff to meet operational business requirements effectively and efficiently in support of Corporate, Cannabis (Wholesale and Retail), Liquor Wholesale and Liquor Retail business goals.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position . This information will be used as part of the selection process.
An eligibility list for permanent or temporary future opportunities may be established. A criminal record search is required.
- Executive office environment.
- Ability to work, in addition to core business hours, for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel provincially, nationally and internationally for periods of time.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Renate Coyle, HR Advisor, Talent & Compensation by phone at 604-252-3407. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
Visit Careers at : www.bcldb.com
Education and Recent, Related Experience:
A post-secondary degree in a related field, with several years of progressive senior leadership experience that includes the following:
- Leading, supporting, and developing direct and indirect reports within a structured organization, and managing multi-tiered support service teams with a significant number of indirect reports;
- Effectively consulting with and guiding executives to implement corporate initiatives to further the goals of the organization;
- Chairing meetings and presenting to large groups of executives and business stakeholders;
- Championing innovation and progressive change within a department to reflect the changing needs of the organization;
- Working in a multifaceted organization or providing substantive level of service to a multifaceted organization;
- Successfully leading and influencing change in a large organization.
Candidates should also have substantive experience:
- Working within a regulated industry and engaging with senior government stakeholders;
- Working in a senior capacity in, or closely and directly with, a government organization or crown corporation and making decisions with a clear understanding of government practice and relations and an organization regularly the subject of media inquiries and demonstrated experience with sensitive communications;
- Leading corporate project investment, policies, processes and methods;
- Working in strategy and planning as a leader, advisor, or analyst;
- Providing direction, reviewing and approving policies for regulatory purposes and to ensure alignment both operationally and politically;
- Leading sourcing and vendor performance.
An advanced degree in a related field, preferred.
A combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of project management and an understanding of the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK).
- Broad knowledge spanning financial management, project management, contract management, change management and human resource management.
- Working knowledge of change management methodology.
Skills and Abilities:
- Broad, enterprise view of business strategy, processes, and capabilities, enabling technologies, and governance with an ability to recognize structural issues within the organization, functional inter-dependencies and cross-silo redundancies.
- Strong management, leadership, and planning skills with the ability to prioritize and simultaneously execute on multiple, complex priorities.
- Proven ability to develop strategic relationships with external stakeholders and leverage those relationships to influence strategic decision making.
- Ability to coach and support key stakeholders at all levels of the organization in execution of the strategy and vision for the organization.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex, and often evolving implementation priorities; delivering to time, scope and quality expectations.
- Excellent ability to facilitate dialogue and resolution of complex issues with a wide variety of stakeholders, including senior executives.
- Excellent knowledge transfer, mentoring and coaching skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong presentation/facilitation abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external clients.